Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ariel's Response to "On Being an LDS Writer"

“You’re…you’re a God-person.”

The statement of Eric Shumway’s identity by the pudgy, inquisitive ringleader of a gang of unabashedly curious schoolboys brought to mind something I was told not too long ago:

“He says he doesn’t like you because you’re too good of a Mormon.”

At my cousin’s revelation of what a certain guy at our high school thought of me, my first instinct was to laugh. What kind of an insult was that?

“Please tell him thank you for me,” I replied. “That’s one of the nicest things anyone has said about me.”

Now, I am by no means perfect, but I would hope that to have someone say such a thing means I am on my way to becoming a “God-person”—what Shumway encourages every LDS writer to be.

Shumway relates, “It’s a matter of ultimate identity as we presume to create, melding truth and beauty, pleasure and instruction, discrimination and judgment, into works of art and records of fact.” Our choice of words and the way we say things tell much about who we are; “God-persons” find the truths in the workings of human existence and share their findings through the written word. Shumway cites many examples in classic literature of this recognition of truth. I discovered one such example about a year ago.

Now, I am not one to get overly emotional over movies and books; I’ve teared up a couple times during a film, and while reading tears come few and far between. Yet there I sat in my living room chair one night, honest-to-goodness crying, makeup everywhere, over the last few pages of Charles Dickens’ Tale of Two Cities. Why? The final, tragic sacrifice of Sidney Carton, dying in the place of Charles Darnay, resonated in my heart with the true story of another Man who paid so dear a price to save those he loved. Shumway refers to these instances as “moments of transforming power” which “open the eyes of our understanding.” Closing that book with tear-stained cheeks that evening, my understanding had truly been expanded; I understood better the depth and personal nature of the suffering our Savior endured for us.

As members of the Church, we are under personal commandment to write, and these “moments of transforming power” Shumway speaks of are not restricted to great works of literature, but can also abound in the personal histories we are admonished to create. Reading this article, I don’t know that my journal contains very many of these. However, hidden amongst lamentations concerning mountainous homework, vignettes relating utterly insensible doings with friends, and agonizings over the doings of current crushes are small insights and bits of wisdom born of experience which I hope will be of use to myself and my future posterity.

In all our writings, both public and personal, one of the most important things we must consider is our audience, and the most important member of that audience is the Lord. We will be held responsible for “every idle thought,” and even more so for our premeditated ones, as Shumway points out. “May we remember for whom we write and to whom we will account,” he writes. To that I say, amen.

5 comments:

  1. As a writer, I learned a lot from this article. I frequently forget that I have an audience beyond just the ordinary people of the world. I forget that the most important audience is the Lord. This really reminded me that there is a purpose to my writing, apart from just entertaining myself and possibly making money on it later. I need to keep that purpose in mind as I write.
    This article also reminded me that journal writing is a commandment. I used to be really good about writing in my journal. I would write every day, unless I had a legitimate reason to not write. Then I got into my junior year of high school, and my journal writing pretty much stopped. Of course, I was in seven classes, I didn't have a study hall like the rest of the school did, I was failing pre-calculus, and I had marching band practice every day except for Sundays. My schedule was totally full. I didn't write much. The most I did was write down football scores and marching band rankings and list major events that I wanted to remember so that I could put them into my journal later. I only put these in my school planner where I kept track of my assignments; I didn't actually write in my journal for whole semesters at a time. This didn't improve until earlier this semester, after I read the "Five Minutes A Day Journal". I write a little more consistently now, but it's usually just typing a few sentences before physical science class actually starts, and it's full of nothingness, such as football scores and complaints about mornings and classes. This article reminded me that I should be writing about other stuff. I should actually be writing about my life experiences, not random stuff like football, which I'm sure that anyone could look up on the equivalent of the Internet a hundred years from now. I should write more about my friendships and all the things that I've learned from the experience of being in college, across the country from my home and family. I should write about that kind of thing. Once again, I need to keep my real audience in mind. This article really helped me to realize things that I need to improve in both my personal writing and in the writing that I may one day attempt to publish. My real audience is much more important than my worldly one, and I this article reminded me to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this article because it helped me to see the value of writing. I will admit that I do not enjoy writing, and I am only taking this class because I have to. This article showed me that journal writing in particular can be a way to serve others. Shumway's thoughts on being a God-person recall the article I am writing a blog post on for next week called "Consecration and Learning." Shumway is essentially saying that we need to consecrate our writing. I am grateful for Shumway's ariticle because it makes it easier for me to like writing in general and this class in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that writing in your journal is really important! I thought it was funny that i read this article today because i just got back from the bookstore having bought a new journal! I recently decided that i needed something small to carry around with me to write down all my thoughts, promptings, dreams, etc. I feel like i always have tons of ideas running through my head but i forgot almost all of them because I am thinking about too many things. This also reminds me of a talk given in conference...and as usual i can't remember who gave it. But the speaker was talking about receiving personal revelation and you have to write it down to receive more so that the Lord knows you aren't just wasting it and you are really taking to heart His advice. Journal writing is important so that we can learn more about ourselves and can reach our goals. Also so we can help future posterity. I know i am glad that my great grandma wrote in her journal. She also exchanged letters with her husband, my great-grandpa who i have never met. It is really great to be able to read more about her and her life and the love these two people shared. I want to do the same so my kids and grandkids can learn from my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an inspiring article. I never really realized that the reason why I treasured certain literary works was that they resonated with truth. Another concept that struck me was that we write to and for Christ. During high school, I occasionally became frustrated because I was unable to write what I really thought, felt, or believed because it brought in religion. I love being at BYU and feeling like I can express the thoughts of my heart. When I write for Christ, I focus on the spirit and truth instead of being politically correct and sounding intellectual. The result is much more authentic and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really interesting to read and an eye opener. I am terrible at keeping a journal. Why? Because two weeks later I reread what I've written and I think, "If my granchildren read this they'll think I'm crazy! I don't want them to know I did that!" and I tear out the pages claiming to do better. This is a vicious cycle that has been repeated for most of my life. However, recently I have made a deal with myself not to look back at what I've written because if nothing else it will give my grandchildren a good laugh, and depending on how I am as an old lady will give me an excuse to act the way I will.

    ReplyDelete