Friday, October 23, 2009

Philip's Response to "Salvation"

It seems like any story that doesn’t have a happy ending is deemed “unfortunate” or “depressing.” I’ve got to admit, after reading Salvation, I just sat there on my bed thinking, “What a disheartening anecdote. Poor little Langston having to undergo such an experience at such a young age. It seems pretty messed up that he based his entire belief in God based on one experience in his life.”

But the more I think about it, I can’t help but think about how truly lost people really are without the fullness of the Gospel. I was fascinated at the idea that some Christian denominations believe Jesus comes into their lives at one certain time – specifically after everyone “sees Jesus” and has the Holy Ghost come into their lives. From the perspective of someone who has grown up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, compelling children to have a “sacred” experience at such a young age seems ridiculous. Of course, people may say the same thing about us baptizing children at the age of accountability when they turn 8 years old. Yet, we don’t necessarily force them to do so and linger on such a decision. Of course we want every child to get baptized, but I really don’t think we isolate them and wait on each of their baptisms.

I have no idea if Langston Hughes would have ever joined our Church or not, nor will I ever find out in this life. And I really don’t think it matters to each of our individual salvation. But the principle of his situation evokes an interesting point to consider: how do conformity and different beliefs of other Christian denominations affect people differently than our church? After all, we’re all children of God who are all given the Light of Christ that we may know good from evil and seek out His truth in this world. In Hughes’s case, conformity shaped his entire perception of religion and God himself. Claiming that he “wanted to see [Jesus] … but nothing came” (114), he became ashamed of himself and decided to “lie” that he too saw Jesus Christ and was saved from his sins. Even though he truly believed and desired to have some manifestation of the Holy Ghost that night, Hughes – not to his fault – appeared to be more focused on what the congregation consisting of his family, friends, and neighbors would think. Expecting to literally see Jesus, he waited and waited until he could no longer bear the pressure of the supposed “99 sheep” waiting on the “lost” one.

But perhaps the worst, yet most intriguing, part of his whole experience is that the overwhelming guilt and pressure to “see Jesus” – which ultimately made him conform and be “saved” – destroyed his belief in Jesus Christ. Given his denomination’s skewed beliefs toward the Savior and salvation, the Lord never came to him, which caused him to lose all faith in someone who never came to help him.

If only he knew what we know to be the truth. If only he never had to be pressured into religious conformity. Would he have turned out differently? Would he have ever gained a testimony of Christ? We may never know the answers to such questions. As unfortunate as Langston Hughes’s situation was, the only thing we can do is be grateful that we know the truth and teach the Gospel to others so that they may have the opportunity to accept the truth and happiness that we all have.

9 comments:

  1. I always hated hearing about my Baptist friends talk about their beliefs about being saved. How they only needed to accept Christ in their lives and they were saved. How they only needed to stand up in a congregation in front of everyone and announce that they were converted. But I feel like a "conversion" unto Christ is such a personal matter, how can anyone else have anything to do with that? Does it really matter whether or not you publicly accept Him in your life?

    But at least they're trying. At least they're not totally apathetic towards religion and Christ. Some of my really great friends and amazing examples to me are Baptists and because they feel that "conversion" so strongly and so passionately, they take life more seriously and really try to be a good person. They really try to continually come unto Christ.

    It's sad that Hughes' experience "ruined" Christ for him, but personally, I expect that Langston Hughes did believe in some sort of Savior - it comes through in his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sad story. It makes me think though, like all of Langston Hughes poems/writings. I definitely agree with what you said, it puts things into perspective-of how much the gospel does for us. I have a friend who was recently baptized, seeing the light in her eyes was a very special experience. The gospel brings such clarity, we don't have to conform to other's expectations for our conversion, it is something that happens in quiet moments when we are alone. And the fact that we know that, is comforting. I also have many friends of other faiths, and many of them do amazing things. While the gospel is the 'fulness' anyone that believes in Christ and tries to follow him will be better for it, no matter what form it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I just feel that people are sort of lost without the Gospel. I’ve been trying to teach a guy from back home about stuff we believe, and when I explain things he’s amazed and says he’s never thought of that. Other times, he says, “Mormons are crazy. Y’all believe weird things. What is this temple thing anyway?” He says that he used to be Baptist, then he changed to the Church of Christ because Baptists aren’t REAL Christians. I think it’s amazing that people have so many different definitions of Christian. My grandpa always says that our Christ isn’t the same as his Christ. I just want to know how many men he thinks atoned for the sins of the world. Missionary work is bringing the truth to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was absolutely fascinated by this story. As I was reading I could almost feel the immense pressure that young Langston Hughes must have felt. He was literally forced to accept Jesus into his life although he did not feel the emotions that he was told he would feel. The only reason he went up to the stand was because he was forced into it by the pressure of his family and the congregation. That is one of many things that I love about our region. We don't force anyone into doing anything. When children are baptized at age 8 the decision is left entirely up to them. I agree with what has been said concerning conversion. We cannot rely on others testimonies. We must gain our own testimony, we should never be pressured into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was actually difficult for me to read. I grew up with several kids who were raised in the church and loved it when they were younger. As they got into middle school and high school, they fell away. They said they needed to decide for themselves what was true and what wasn't, and I can respect that. But now they spend much of their time trying to convince LDS teenagers and youth that they've been forced and coerced by their parents into believing something that logically makes no sense. They argue that the LDS church guilts people into doing what the church thinks is appropriate. They've also denied everything they ever said they knew, even saying they were deluded into feeling what they thought was the Spirit, but that it wasn't real and they only felt it because their parents said they should. It's so sad to me that these people think that testimonies were forced on them. I think that the LDS church doesn't pressure people. We aren't forced to say that we've been saved to become a true member; for us conversion is a very personal thing. I can't imagine how awful it would be to feel like you've been pressured into accepting a religion just so you in turn would be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this story really shows how different denominations have part of the truth, but are missing essential parts. I think it was interesting that Langston Hughes used the term the "Holy Ghost" to describe the Spirit. I have never heard another faith use that term. I always thought that other faiths used the term the "Holy Spirit". It was a little thing, but it made me think about all the truths that we have and then all the truths that are spread out among all the other churches, but they don't quite grasp the eternal principles. I am really grateful that I have the fulness of the gospel in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this! Whenever nonmembers say they're, "waiting for a sign God is real" or something like that I want to shake them so hard their head popps off. LOOK AROUND!!! The very existance of people, trees, the atmosphere, gravity, life in general, the way everything works out is a sign right there that God exists. You don't even have to pray to see these signs. Sometimes the signs people are looking for don't work out so well, such as with Korihor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I’m grateful for the gospel in my life. I agree with what Virginia said about just taking the time to look around. I see evidence of God in everything. I wish that everyone could see that. I wish everyone knew that they were a child of God with the potential to become like Him. I wish everyone knew that they have a Father in Heaven who loves them, wants the best for them, and that they can pray to and turn to at any time…no matter what they are doing or where they are. I wish everyone understood that they have a Savior that died for them. I know all of these things, and I know what that does for me in my life. It makes it so that – Like Virginia said- you can look around and see that everything points to God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Langston! I truly hope this one experience wasn't enough to push him away from God forever. He truly tried to do what he was told and felt remorse for lying. How can people expect children, or anyone for that matter, to "see Jesus" on command? Feeling the spirit is a sacred experience. It can't be turned on and off according to your will.

    This story made me really appreciate that we have the fullness of the gospel. I'm so grateful for it in my life. I wish everyone could hear the gospel and accept it. It makes life much easier.

    ReplyDelete